8 whole fish balls
1 tbsp dried prawns - soaked in hot water
1 - 2 medium sized bunch of pak choy or mustard leaves
1/2 cube instant vegetable stock
1 serving crispy egg noodle - softened
1 round chilli oil
1 round soy sauce
a dash of white pepper
1 bowl water
- Bring out a sizable soup pot. Place soaked dried prawns into pot and stir till water dries up. Then add in a tbsp of vegetable oil. Fry till fragrant before adding in the water. Bring to boil.
- When water is reaching boiling point, add the instant vegetable stock cube. Make sure cube breaks down into water before adding in fish balls. Continue boiling. Bring to a simmer when water starts boiling.
- In a separate pot, boil some water, add in some oil and salt. When water is boiling, add in portion of egg noodles to soften. Cook for about 2 - 3 minutes or until soft, remove and strain through a sieve. Wash under cold water to stop the cooking process. Place in bowl.
- Wash vegetables to remove any excess dirt. Drain excess water. Then precook vegetables by blanching them in the soup. Remove and place on top of noodles.
- Before serving, add in soy sauce, pepper and the chilli oil to add colour.
- Ladle out fish balls onto noodles and then add soup to desired amount.
- Serve with either sliced chillies in soy sauce or home made sambal belacan.
It served my soup craving as well as taking me back to having a hawker food back home,
The Innovative Baker