250 gms white button mushrooms - diced
4 - 5 pieces dried shiitake mushrooms - soaked in hot water and then diced
4 - 5 pieces dried morsel (wood ears) - soaked in hot water and then diced
2 paprikas - red and yellow for colour - diced
1 stalk leek - washed and diced
1 whole romainne lettuce - leaves washed and set aside
2 rounds sesame oil
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 dashes dark soy sauce
2 dashes soy sauce
1/2 red onion - diced
1 tbsp cornstarch (with 1 1/2 tbsp water)
Pepper to taste
- First prepare all the ingredients for chopping.
- Heat up a medium pot, add in vegetable oil. Add in diced red onion and stir till fragrant. Then add in shiitake mushrooms and leek. Cook for about 2 minutes then add in morsels. Continue stirring. Pour in the mushroom water as stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer.
- After 10 minutes, add in button mushrooms. When button mushrooms blend in with the rest, add in oyster sauce, dark and light soy sauce. Stir until mixture is covered with the sauces.
- Finally add in paprikas. Continue stirring. Then add in cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce. Add in pepper to taste and finally sesame oil. Stir and switch off the gas. Let it seat.
- Lay out romainne lettuce around the plate. Dish out vegetables on to the romainne lettuce. It can be eaten cold or warm.
If you want some kick, then, when cooking, add in diced red chillies. If you wish to serve with a dip, then pour a side of sweet chilli sauce for your guests to enjoy. I know I enjoyed it. My vege friends loved it!
Cooking for the vegetarian at heart,
The Innovative Baker