I am a fan of making my own mayonnaise and chilli is like a staple in my diet. So what better than to combine both into a sauce.
How did I make the sauce?
3 whole red chillies - deseeded and sliced in large pieces
4 egg yolks (save the egg whites for a quick stir fry)
1 whole lime
whole black pepper (crushed with pastel and mortar) or in pepper mill
a pinch of sugar
a pinch of salt
50ml olive oil
- Place deseeded chillies into blender. Add in egg yolks, crushed black pepper and pinch of sugar and salt. Add in some lime rind and the juice of one lime.
- Start the blender and as it blends and combines the ingredients, dribble the olive oil in. You will get a light pink texture with bits of black pepper and chillies. If the mayonaisse doesn't look like it's thickening, add more olive oil but only until you see it thicken. That means the mixture takes on a denser form and looks spreadable rather than dribbling.
- Pour into a glass jar and put in the fridge.
For the Sandwich, all you need is:
1 chicken breast - defrosted
2 thin slices of ham - to your liking
pepper and salt to taste
- Boil a pot of water. When almost to the point of boiling, add in your chicken breast and reduce heat. Simmer until chicken breast is fully cooked. Poke through the breast to check whether it is cooked thoroughly. This would take about 10 minutes.
- Let the chicken breast cool down. Next whip out your mayonnaise from the fridge, put some in a bowl. Cut your chicken into thinner slices or use your finger and tear the breast into long strips. Add the chicken into the mayonnaise. Add enough for 2 sandwiches. Stir to ensure chicken pieces are covered.
- Slice your cucumber into rings. Say about 10 pieces should be enough.
- Spread butter onto bread rolls, line cucumber pieces and place ham slices along each side of roll. Spoon in the chicken, add some pepper and salt and sandwich it.
There you have it! A perfect sandwich for the healthier you. If you do not like boiled chicken, you can opt to grill it instead. How much did this cost? Nothing...because everything was from my fridge :) No chillies, no worries, add a dollop of mustard into the mayonnaise and you will have a tangy mustard. You can replace the lime with lemons as well.
Have a happy sandwich!
The Innovative Baker